Creating a Student Chapter
A student chapter of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration may be organized at any educational institution of higher learning where there is an existing program in a technical area covered by the SME charter, and where there is sufficient student enrollment and interest in forming a student chapter. Sponsorship shall be provided by the SME section in the area where the student chapter is located. If there is no section, sponsorship shall be provided by the Society. For a student chapter to be affiliated with SME, approval of the SME Board of Directors is required.
The SME section shall designate an SME member, preferably someone employed by industry or government, to serve as section counselor. At the educational institution, a member of the faculty, preferably an SME member, shall be designated to serve as faculty sponsor. The section counselor and Faculty Sponsor shall promote contact between professionals and students and provide guidance and support for the student chapter program.
Student chapter governance shall comply with the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws of SME and regulations of the associated educational institution. Within the constraints outlined, the student chapter shall conduct and be responsible for its business and administration and report annually on its activities to SME headquarters.
When it has been determined that the educational program is permanent and that there is adequate interest among students and faculty, the following steps should be taken:
- Identify a member of the faculty, preferably an SME member, to serve as faculty sponsor.
- Contact the chairman of the SME section in the area and request student chapter sponsorship. If there is no SME section, contact the SME Education Department in Denver.
- Request that the SME local section (or SME) designate an SME member to serve as section counselor.
- Draft student chapter bylaws.
- Elect student chapter officers. Note: Officers must be members of SME or another member society of AIME.
- Compile the following information:
Student chapter bylaws
A completed student chapter information form
A letter prepared by the faculty sponsor indicating his/her willingness to serve in that capacity
A letter prepared by the section counselor indicating his/her willingness to serve in that capacity
- Forward the above documents, along with a request for SME affiliation, to the local section chairman and/or SME Education Department.
The request for affiliation will be reviewed at SME headquarters, and a recommendation regarding affiliation will be made to the SME Board of Directors. The student chapter will be notified of the Board's decision.
If you have questions, contact the Education Department at SME, Englewood, CO 80112 1-800-763-3132 (U.S. only), or 303-973-9550, fax 303-948-4265.
Pontificia Universidad Catolica Del Peru Student Chapter Officers.