Outstanding Student Chapter Contest
Student chapters play an integral role in career planning and professional development. Each year the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME) recognizes outstanding achievement at the student chapter level by honoring the four top contestants in its Outstanding Student Chapter Contest.
Chapter reports are judged on the basis of a comprehensive review and evaluation with other reports from competing chapters. These chapter reports are used to evaluate the level and quality of chapter activities and operations. The financial resources of our Chapters vary therefore, the selection process for the award places a strong emphasis on a Chapter's activities as opposed to the glossiness of reporting those activities.
The winning chapter receives a $500 cash award, a certificate of recognition and a ticket to the awards banquet at the SME annual meeting. The winning chapter also receives a travel allowance of up to $500 to offset travel expenses related to the meeting. The three runner-up chapters receive certificates of recognition. All entrants are recognized in Mining Engineering.
SME Outstanding Student Chapter MEC Award
Student Chapter MEC Award is for the Student Chapter's MEC program, community service and/or other educational outreach activities. The award selection committee will use the material written in the annual report to select the award recipient. The winning SME Student Chapter receives a prize of $250, a certificate of recognition, and one ticket to the awards banquet at the SME Annual Meeting. The chapter receives a travel allowance up to $500 to send a representative to the Annual Meeting.
Annual Report Guidelines
An annual report reflects chapter priorities, activities, and achievements for the year. It also encourages professional accountability. While there is no prescribed format for the annual report, it may be useful to include the following:
- Membership and Governance:Student chapter officers, members, faculty sponsor, and local SME section counselor.
- Chapter Activities:To be considered for the SME Student Chapter MEC Award, you must include a separate section of information in your Annual Report regarding your Chapter's MEC Program, community service and/or other educational outreach activities. The award selection committee will use the material written in your report to select the award recipient.
- Student Member Activities:Similar to the chapter activities outlined above, but instead highlighting individual student members.
- Treasurer's Report
- Secretary's Report
- Photographs and other graphics to enhance the report and support its contents.
2013 - 2014 STUDENT CHAPTER ANNUAL REPORTS
The annual report...
- should not exceed 50 pages, excluding cover pages, the table of contents and section dividers;
- must be set in type no smaller than 12 points; and
- must have at least one-inch margins.
Student Chapter officers must be SME (or TMS, SPE or ISS) members, Chapter bylaws must be up-to-date, and annual reports must be received by SME Headquarters no later than June 1. One copy should be sent, TO:
Attn: Mona Vandervoort
12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112