Rong Yu Wan Scholarship
The SME Foundation is soliciting contributions to endow this scholarship fund.
Rong Yu Wan Scholarship established October 2009.
With the assistance of Marc LeVier, a memorial fund was established in her name in 2009 with the SME Foundation. The fund was established with the intent to award scholarships to metallurgical graduate students. To date contributions have grown to over $32,000, with a goal of $40,000. Ms. Wan’s son, Joseph Wang, has met with SMEF staff and is hopeful that the scholarship fund goal will be reached in the near future so that awards may begin to be conferred.
Dr. Rong-Yu Wan was an independent metallurgical consultant following her retirement from Newmont Mining Corp., where she was the chief research scientist-hydrometallurgy and the metallurgy research manager. She received numerous professional society and institutional awards, served on boards, panels and committees for the National Academies and the Department of Energy. A few highlights of her career accomplishments are:
- Recipient of the 2000 SME Antoine M. Gaudin Award for her contributions to mineral processing research and development
- Recipient of the 2009 SME Distinguished Member Award for her significant and sustained contributions to the minerals industry and to SME
- Adjunct professor at University of Utah, her PhD alma mater
- Member of the National Academy of Engineering
- Author of 80+ technical papers and peer-reviewed papers in international trade journals
- Awarded seven patents
- Internationally recognized expert in mineral processing and hydrometallurgy
- Inventor on Newmont patents for thiosulfate leaching, thiocyanate leaching, gold recovery from solution and pressure oxidation treatment of refractory gold ores
- Recipient of the Newmont Chairman’s Award for Lifetime Achievement and Contribution
Please send contributions to the SME Foundation, 12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle, Englewood, CO 80112-4167 or call Lorie Laessig at 303-948-4246.
Your support is greatly appreciated!