SME Registered Member Program
What is a "Registered Member"?
The SME Registered Member Program was created in response to members who perform specialized functions relating to reserve consulting and reporting and need to satisfy the overseas requirement as a Competent/Qualified Person (QP) in that they belong to a Recognized Overseas Professional Organization (ROPO). To be accepted under ROPO guidelines SME is bound by the following terms:
- Members are geologists, engineers and geoscientists admitted primarily on the basis of academic qualifications and experience
- Members agree to observe and be bound by a code of ethics
- SME has disciplinary powers to suspend and expel members
Registered Member Qualifications
- Applicant must possess a university degree from a U.S. accredited university or a recognized overseas university*, and
- Applicant must have a minimum of five (5) years of professional experience**, of which at least 3 must have been in a position of responsibility, defined as one in which the individual was depended on for significant participation, management and decision making, and
- Applicant must satisfy and demonstrate one of the following conditions:
- Licensed or Certified in a state of the United States that is a member of the National Association of State Boards of Geology (ASBOG).
- Certified by the American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG) as a Certified Professional Geologist.
- Professional Engineer (PE) licensed or certified in a state of the United States, (PEng) licensed or certified in a province in Canada.
- Professional Geologist (PGeo) in a province in Canada.
- The applicant will need three endorsements from three current SME Registered Members***. Those serving as endorsers must complete the SME Registered Member Verification Form (found on page 4 of the application or use one of the options below).
*University degree must be in fields related in various ways with the discovery, extraction and utilization of minerals, metals and energy sources. Applicants must submit transcripts with their full coursework that confirms graduation in a related field. If more than one degree was earned then then applicant must at the very least submit the degree and transcripts most relevant to the applicant's situation leading them to apply to the SME Registered Member Program.
**Professional experience must be in the mineral and extractive industries, or in government, educational, research, professional or commercial organizations concerned with those industries.
***Those serving as endorsers must satisfy the following criteria: they must have worked directly with the applicant for a minimum of six (6) months and they must be current SME Registered Members. The form must be sent directly to the SME office in Englewood, Colorado. An online Registered Member directory is available to the public through http://www.smenet.org/directory/?registered.
Every Registered Member shall observe and be bound by the SME Code of Ethics as published by SME from time to time. Any alleged breach of this code or any alleged unprofessional conduct by a Registered Member which may be brought before the Ethics Committee shall be investigated and, if proved, shall be dealt with in accordance with the outlined procedures. You may download the SME Registered Member Code of Ethics in PDF format below.
To apply for SME Registered Membership the following documents and actions must be submitted before the committee will consider the application for review
- A completed SME Registered Member application and
- Personal Statement indicating why the applicant is seeking SME Registered Membership and
- A complete Curriculum Vita or resume for all work performed within and outside the industry and
- A copy of their degree and transcripts showing full coursework and confirming graduation (see above for education requirements).
- Review and accept the terms outlined in the SME Code of Ethics and
- Proof of current licensure or certification in accepted certified options or
- Three verification forms submitted by three individual qualified verifiers must be submitted directly to SME headquarters
Verifiers may click here to use the online Verification Form or click on the PDF link to download the required Verification Form in an editable PDF format.
2012 Registered Member Class Dues
$142.00 dues per year
+ $75.00 Registered Member fee per year
$217.00 Total Per Year
Entrance Fee (applicable only to new SME members): $20
Reinstatement Fee (applicable only to reinstating SME members, individuals who have been an SME Member in the past): $10
There is no additional fee for current SME Honorary or Professional Members applying to change their membership status.
Click here to be directed to the online application page or download the SME Registered Member Application in an editable PDF format from the table below.