The Metallic Student Design Competition (SDC) is a hard rock competition focused on the evaluation of a mineral deposit (precious/base metal or industrial mineral) and the development of a potential flowsheet and process design. The competition will be conducted in two stages, with the second stage and final judging taking place at the SME annual conference. The new Metallic SDC is modeled after the SME/NSSGA competition, which is based on an aggregate mining industry design problem.
Coming soon. Register your teams for the 2023-2024 Metallic Student Design Competition!
Key dates for 2023-2024:
- September 1: Registration opens
- September 11: Phase 1 begins
- October 22nd: Deadline to register your team
- November 5th: Phase 1 solution due
- December 18th: Phase 2 teams announced
- February 23rd: Phase 2 begins (at SME Annual Conference in Phoenix, AZ)
- February 25th: Phase 2 final presentations and judging; Phase 2 winners announced
For more information, please contact:
Mona Vandervoort, SME Education Coordinator
+1 (303) 948-4227
Sponsored by Rio Tinto