The Metallic Student Design Competition (SDC) is a hard rock competition focused on the evaluation of a mineral deposit (precious/base metal or industrial mineral) and the development of a potential flowsheet and process design. The competition will be conducted in two stages, with the second stage and final judging taking place at the SME annual conference. The new Metallic SDC is modeled after the SME/NSSGA competition, which is based on an aggregate mining industry design problem.
Coming soon. Register your teams for the 2022-2023 Metallic Student Design Competition!
Key dates for 2022-2023:
- October 3rd: Phase 1 problem sent to Faculty Advisors for registered teams
- October 31st: Deadline to register your team for the Metallic competition
- November 23rd: Phase 1 solution due
- January 6th: Phase 2 teams announced
- February 24th: Phase 2 begins (at SME Annual Conference in Denver, CO)
- February 26th, 7am - 3pm: Phase 2 final presentations and judging; Phase 2 winners announced
For more information, please contact:
Mona Vandervoort, SME Education Coordinator
+1 (303) 948-4227
Sponsored by Rio Tinto